• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New C90 oil pressure problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3holerman

Reaction score
Hi,
First thank you everyone that has helped with advice on my process of retrofitting my 46 j3 with a C90-8.

Today was the first time it ran and flew. The power was a big difference from the 65. The prop is a 71/46 and it turned up 2450 ish at takeoff. We preoiled it with a pressure oiler with Philips M 20-50. Filled it with the same oil and started it up. I did Continentals recommended runin/breakin. Initially at idle it had 50 or so lbs of oil pressure. I flew it for about 30 min and landed on rollout I noticed the oil pressure was around 10 or so psi at idle. It was 50 at 1000-1200 and above. We are going to pull the screen tomorrow. I think perhaps a piece of metal may have gotten between the oil pressure relief plunger and seat. The last time this happened was on my 600 hour Beech Debonair. This time it was metal under the seat due to the cam disintegrating. It it somewhat normal to have this happen on a newly overhauled engine. I, along with my A/I overhauled the engine and we did everything as required by Continental then some. It has new Millenniums.

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Latest posts

Back