• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

My old A65

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Came with the Cub in 1962. Some old dude told me it was worthless in 1969 - by then I had put 300 hours on it. Wasn't worthless to me; I had Edelbrock balance it, put new rings and bearings in, and flew it another 1100 hours, interrupted only for a decade or so while I enjoyed a couple other engines. Removed it in 1997, stored serviceable.

Fast forward a quarter century - I already reported my buddy's cylinder coming loose. I volunteered my engine, with the caveat that we should pressurize it before start.

Another buddy gave me a high quality pump - I usually pump from the left front galley, but this time a little study indicated that the best place was at the gauge line. We removed the restrictor, and pumped that sucker full of MMO. It came out of all eight rockers with only a single revolution.

Then we pumped engine oil in there. 50 psi! That was yesterday. Today it started on the second blade - smooth as silk.

Pre- oiling is a good thing to do . . .

Made me happy to see it run.

Latest posts

Back