• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need some guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
I may be facing a personal issue that would require I put finishing NC55100's rebuild on hold for almost 3 years. I've been working on her for almost four years to this point. I've put 35000.00 cash into her, and untold hours. I'm about 500 dollars in cash, and another hundred hours to get her to the point that the fuselage would be considered complete and ready to fly except for wings. (However, my time and cash estimates on this airplane so far have been off by a factor of two to three every time.

I don't want this airplane to sit in its current pristine condition in storage for 3 years, so I'm leaning heavily towards selling it as is.

NOTE: The wings have yet to even been started. They are still covered, and do need a complete restoration in my opinion.

The current guidance I'm looking for is whether to spend the extra money and time with the fuselage and would I get any added dollars out of it by doing that, at this point as opposed to selling it as is.

In three years, hopefully, I'll be back working on another airplane, but I simply can't see storing this thing away that long and watching it possibly deteriorate from the virtually zero time pristine thing it is.

I'd truly appreciate your thoughts.

The skylight needs to be installed. The tail feathers don't need restoration and are flyable as is though they could use some paint. The engine is a millenium 65 hp with about 40 hours on it since rebuild. Mags were rebuilt at that time, prop replaced. Everything on the fuselage is new except for a few controls pieces that were salvageable from the donor, new engine mount, muffler shrouds. New fuselage from Uni, and all landing gear etc. Grove brakes, Kasola harnesses. Much more.

Kills me to have to let it go, but storing for three years isn't smart in my opinion. A year maybe, but three, no.

If you wish to reply in any significant detail or ask any questions, please send private e-mail to: [email protected].

Latest posts

Back