• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Looking for advice, ideas, etc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

backcast

I knew this point in my flying was coming and here it is. I've always wanted to fly floatplanes which is actually what got me involved with cubbing. As soon as I completed my private I went right to tailwheel training, in a cub of course (ok, maybe its not the only choice of airframe but it sure makes for great transitions into upgrades, cub, to cub special, to super cub.) At any rate, about a year later I purchased my L4. I love my L4 and all she gives back to me. She was a find that took over 12 months of searching and she has saved my bacon on many occasions (is it weird to love your cub? sometimes I think I talk to her more than my wife! Especially when it's windy.) Ok, moving along. This week my dream of achieving a Seaplane rating came to fruition as my I passed my rating in one of Brown's great J3's down in Winter Haven, Fl (if you are thinking about this transition, I highly recommend Brown's, they've got the training down to a science that works.)

So now, as I pack up for my 7th military move, and head out to Fort Lewis, Washington (I'm temporarily in Georgia and the wife is back home in Fairbanks, Alaska, she stayed while I deployed) I have the strong, no burning, OK OBSESSION, with going to straight floats. So, do I sell my beloved L4 and find a cub already on floats, or do I fork out the money for a set of floats, a bigger motor (A65 right now) and a prop? I've been told by many to sell and find one already on floats. My L4 doesn't have seaplane grommets, and she is really nice, a super restoration less than 5 years ago and I'm sure the abuse from the water will show on her.

Oh, what to do!

Latest posts

Back