• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Thinking about selling Mooney M20J and buying a cub

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello ! My first post here so let me just introduce myself. I'm a 2000 hr pilot, CFI/II and own a 1989 Mooney M20J. I have about 25 hours in a Cub and used to fly gliders, but haven't flown gliders in many years. Enough hours in a seaplane to get my rating, but also haven't flown them in a while. I'm in New York (Brooklyn) and have a hangar in New Jeresey.

I love my Mooney, it has everything I could ask for-great in IMC with all the bells and whistles. I try to fly it weekly and every time I go flying I hesitate to sell it. The ONLY problem with it is that I hardly ever get to go on long trips with it. Two busy young kids and a wife not crazy about flying unless I can take her to a particular destination that we have to go to--e.g. a wedding in Baltimore or Boston. The young one gets nauseous every time we fly. The plane has a 2900 gross weight increase, so easy to pack in family and suit cases...but, just not doing it that much.

SO....to make a long story short, I'm thinking about selling it and buying, guess what, a Piper Cub. Why ? It's fun and the perfect plane for going nowhere ! Fits my mission-I think. An hour or two a week. Short trips.

I'm small (140lbs) so was thinking about a basic J-3 with a 65 horse engine or maybe a C90 if I want a starter.

I'm in the beginning of this process, formulating a plan. Any thoughts would be appreciated ? Any suggestions for a mechanic in the NY, NJ area who knows Cubs ?

Latest posts

Back