• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Installing new muffler shrouds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
In view of the terrible condition of my old muffler shrouds, I'd like to get the new ones on in a way that will keep them crack free for as long as possible. It is clear from my old images of the airplane before tear down that there was no braceing on the down stack. It seems to me that it is a pretty long piece of tube, both the shroud and down pipe to just be "dangling", from the rest of the muffler stack. Yes, there are some pretty solid clamps, but there is a fair amount of weight cantilevered out there. I understand that original piper down stacks my have had an angle brace of somekind to relieve the cantilever load.

I've not been able to see any sign of that kind of brace in the few forum pix that show this part of the firewalls. What are you guys doing in this regard. I have one input that says that PK's around the shrouds are enough and to not worry about the cantilevered affects on the down pipes.

Thoughts??

Latest posts

Back