• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Still shrouds, but a different question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
My muffer clamps have the little tit/nib and the holes associated with them all nicely drilled, and the muffler system still goes together well. However, these "hot clamps" that use the self locking heat environment nuts stick up farther than the inside diameter of the down stack muff. (Not a problem on the horizontal muffler as that shroud doesn't go over those two clamps and it is bigger diameter anyway. The old down pipe muff accommodated the protursion by simply hacking out a piece of the down stack muff for clearance.

In other words, the two bent tabs on either end of the clamp that have the holes for the bolt and nut stick up too far for the down stack muff clearance. Well, there, I've said it the same twice. I wonder if I have bastard clamps of some kind, or what?? I can't imagine hacking a clearance hole in my new down pipe muff. I can imagine a clamp with a lower profile tab arrangement that would have been better if in fact these I have belonged to old man Piper.

Latest posts

Back