• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Humble Pie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunkerhill

Reaction score
I thought about not telling this but, what the heck. Since I started my journey toward getting my ticket I have had a Garmin 296. I was so hooked on the thing that during my dual cross-country Shannon took it away from me in the middle of the trip. I had my map and all my ck points but unknown to him I was not looking at the map very much. When he took it away the reliance on the map seemed odd. I made it back but it was not pretty. He warned me about leaning on the Garmin to much at this stage of my training. During my solo cross country I did not even look at the sectional, NOT ONCE during the flight even though I told myself I would . During the ck ride the examiner of course made me fly with my course plan and ck points. I made a passable showing but even then unknown to him I was confused for brief periods. OK then I got burnt the other day. I set out on a short cross-country to an airport that was not marked very well with good ck points . I had a map and had briefly looked at it but no real plan,afterall it was only 23 miles away and I have my Garmin that I was certain had a good charge. As soon as I took off the screen went blank,dead battery. No panic As soon as I leveled off I began looking at my sectional and made a plan. No wind correction needed because it was a direct almost no headwind. I looked at my compass and flew the correct heading.The first couple of ck points were fine but when I got within 10 miles of the airport I was without any good ck points and basically got lost. I climbed up another 1000 ft and found a watertower with the name of a small town on it. I was able to limp in from there because I know the area fairly well. The area I'm in made it a non event because it is local to me ,but if I had been somewhere foreign to me I could have been in a pickle. Ive learned a tough lesson early. I am changing my behavior with planning now before this non sense becomes a BAD Habit. I'm not going anywhere past the airport area without a plan. That plan will assume the GPS won't work. If and when I get the instructors rating I don't think I will allow the use of a GPS during training. :-\ ;D

Latest posts

Back