• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Help-Bad Vibrations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
This morning while descending down the ridges to the floor of the valley, at about 85 mph indicated, I looked out at the right wing and saw that the control cable was vibrating, or oscillating, or what ever the motion is, with all three sections between the guides making complete circles like the top section in the first picture. The one in the center had the largest diameter, and took paint off the trailing edge of the strut. Moving the stick did not make much difference. The cable on the left wing strut was normal. I leveled out and slowed down, and the oscillations changed some and at one point stopped but with considerable slack in the cable, as shown in the other pictures.

Aileron control was normal, and ailerons were not fluttering. The aircraft has a slight tendency to roll to the right, so takes a very slight amount of left aileron to keep it level. With a little right aileron the slack went away, because that puts the strut cable in tension, but it returned as soon as stick pressure was relaxed.

On the ground the tension on cables on both wings seems the same. The left aileron inboard hinge has some play in it, but that is the only looseness I could find. Cable guides including the ones at floor level just before the cable exits the aircraft look OK, and there is no fraying or worn areas. The pulleys at the top of both struts turn OK and do not have flat places.

Any ideas what is going on? I have not seen this happen before today.
Chuck
Who would rather have Good Vibrations!

6375CableVibration3.jpg

6373CableVibration1.jpg

6374CableSlack2.jpg

6375CableVibration3.jpg

6373CableVibration1.jpg

6374CableSlack2.jpg

6375CableVibration3.jpg

6373CableVibration1.jpg

6374CableSlack2.jpg

Latest posts