• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Fuel Tank Cap Follow Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-29080

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being unable to find an original J-3/L-4 fuel tank cap, I decided to make one. Here it is, made from a NOS WWII Dodge WC fuel tank cap which is identical except that it lacks the tube for the rod. I used the cannablized tube from a Wag Aero cap, and one of AOP's beautiful rod/float assemblies.

It was easy to drill out the top of the cap and solder in the tube. The paint is Rustoleum self priming red. The leather seal is the 70 year old original, which will be replaced.

The cap fits and works as it should. The proper gripping serrations are present on the cap, but did not photograph well because the new paint is so glossy.

Cost of the parts was $38, not counting shipping, so well under $50 for the finished project.

This seller has NOS WWII WC caps for $8 each. He's reliable and delivery is fast. I bought a spare for use when the aircraft is parked so that the float does not become fuel logged.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-DODGE-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ccf64220b&vxp=mtr

MVC-064S.JPG

MVC-065S.JPG

MVC-066S.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back