• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Starter and fuel questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Cub

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum with a couple of questions. I have a 46 J-3 with a metal spar and c-90. The airplane has sat since 1999, and was on floats. It also has a starter and G-25 battery behind the rear seat. In 1995, wing fuel tanks were installed (Aero Fabricators, 13 gal.). I have a 337 for that installation, and the logbooks show a "header tank" was installed (not on the 337 --just a logbook entry). The airplane now has, not installed by me, but as purchased, a 2 1/2 gallon header tank underneath the panel... The wing tanks feed into the small header tank, and the header tank feeds the engine... Wag Aero (Aero Fabricators) says its just like a sport trainer. This installation, while functional, isn't legal according to the STC. Aero Fabricators says they are intended to replenish the stock main tank.
I want to leave the header tank in place. The main reason is that the previous owner installed a microair 720 and intercom into the panel. If I were to remove the small header tank and put in the original, as the stc calls for, I'd have to get rid of the radio,(mounts too deep) which I really like. This leaves me the option of leaving the tanks in place and field approving the installation as it sits, or yanking the header tank, radio and intercom out and going back stock. I have a good relationship with the local FSDO, and have gotten other Field Approvals through, in spite of the many rumors that they are unwilling. I have talked to them and they are willing to do the FA, especially in light of the installation being done 15 years ago.
I think this installation is identical to a super cub, but am not familiar enough with super cubs to be sure. Could someone explain to me a super cub fuel system... and is what I have described the same as on a Super Cub? If so, I think Ill just buy the Atlee Dodge STC for a PA-18 fuel system on a J-3 and call it good. Any thoughts or advice appreciated. Jim

Latest posts

Back