• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Fuel Trailer Project!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezflyr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I thought I'd share the details of a project I recently completed, a fuel trailer for my Piper J3 Cub!

Fuel Trailer.jpg

I built this fuel trailer mainly for convenience. We do have a self-serve fuel system at my home field, but it's on the opposite side of the field and is a ~30 minute round-trip process to fuel my Cub, and of course, an extra hand-start. The fuel trailer allows me the convenience of refueling in the hangar anytime I want, and then periodically driving to fill the tank with 100LL. The tank is 110 gallons, and the 15 GPM pump is 12V DC, powered by a small tractor battery. The battery is maintained by a float charger. There is a fuel quantity totalizer inline with the pump handle for keeping track of individual fills, and the total quantity of gas pumped.

The overall cost of the project was about $1,500, but you might have trouble doing that now as most of the parts were sourced last Summer & Fall.

Here are the parts I used, and the Summer/Fall 2021 prices:

Trailer: Northern Tool Item# 37560 ($300)
110 Gal. Tank & Fill-Rite FR1210 Pump: JME Ellsworth SKU: ATTTR110AFR1210 ($1000)
Filter: ACI34G 10 micron for gasoline ($50)
Meter: GPI01A In-line digital meter ($150)

A typical refueling of my Cub is about 6 to 8 gallons, so I expect roughly 15 refuelings between tank fills!

John