• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Aux fuel tank management

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpowell

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1940 J5A that was beautifully restored with some J5C mods like the O-235 engine and pressure cowl. The fuel tank arrangement is the main 18 gal in the right wing, a 1 gal header tank and an aux 13 gal in the left wing. placards say to always fly with the main fuel valve for the right tank ON. the aux tank has a separate ON/OFF valve.

i'm trying to figure out how to manage the two tanks. we tried switching the main fuel OFF and the aux ON, it fed fuel fine to the gascolator. (we did this on the ground, not running), but this is not allowed via placard for some reason. what do folks do? running both on all the time seems like it would empty the aux first since it’s smaller. or do they somehow balance out. the header tank should take care of any imbalance from a starvation POV, but i’m not sure how they feed when both are on.

of course the best way is for me to get out there and fly with both ON and see what happens, but i’m interested in what others do. being a low wing flyer for most of my life, my habit is to manage left/right as i fly. cessna folks just run on the both setting usually. what is the thinking on the long wing piper world?

thanks

Attachments

• EF698A2E-F719-4223-A321-CAC48CAC7BF7.jpeg
    EF698A2E-F719-4223-A321-CAC48CAC7BF7.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • AF81A45C-8C86-45F8-94E6-CC1AD08DB00D.jpeg
    AF81A45C-8C86-45F8-94E6-CC1AD08DB00D.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back