• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Final Chice..Weathered #41 Olive Drab

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaL4

Reaction score
I am restoring O-58A 42-7796 as it was while serving at Pittsburg Kansas during 1943 after almost two years in the field. I wanted to weather the aircraft finish to reflect two years of service in the sun and elements. The photos you see below are all of the same paint sample. The scanned image shows the sample to be brown while the other photos taken in varying light conditions show how different the paint looks based on lighting. The very first photo shows the weathered samples I have done for both ANA #613 along with #41 next to a weathered L-4. It was my goal to make the weathered # 41 fade more to a light brown while still retaining some of the olive tint. The light 613 has been faded to a shade or two lighter than the original card. The 41 has faded to more of a olive/grayish/brown while the 613 still reflects mostly green. My paint looks almost tan in some shade while more olive/brown in other photos.

The paint sample in the photos is the same sample that scanned dark brown. The sample is not as brown as the scanner shows and has an olive tint. Dark Olive Drab # 41 was never a completely dark brown even when factory fresh, it had a pronounced olive tint.

This is the color I will be painting my aircraft. Like Paul, it will be a weathered faded finish but more olive brown/tan for #41 rather than the #613 which is more green that his plane is based on. Both #41 or #613 are correct for the L-4 based on what time period you want to reflect and how much weathering you would like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back