• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

1940 Bulletin #41 Camouflage Colors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaL4

Reaction score
Just in case some of you have never seen this color chart it is from the Archer book on WW II camouflage. Bulletin # 41 is from 1940 and all of my Aeronca drawings are stamped with the reference to AAC Bulletin # 41 for finish. Bulletin #41 was replaced by the ANA book dated May/June 1943 but many aircraft continued to be painted with Bulletin #41 colors all of the way in to 1944. How many vs ANA colors is the source of great controversy and opinion. :)

I personally have never seen any bulletin #41 color cards and don't know of anyone that has one so I cannot attest to the accuracy of this chart and also it is not possible to accurately portray colors on a PC screen or in books.

According to Archer Dark Olive Drab # 41 is purported to be darker than No. 613 Olive Drab and Neutral Gray # 43 is said to also be dark and is a straight black/white gray with no blue tint as is present in No. 603 Sea Gray.

The one thing I do know for sure is that both the Bulletin 41 colors as well as the ANA colors both faded readily when exposed to the elements, they simply did not have the technology then to formulate the paint quality we have today.

If I ever do come across any actual real, and authentic color cards from Bulletin 41 I will match them up for you as well, I am always on the lookout for them.

I hope everything I provide you guys will help you make a more informed decision on the correct paint for your aircraft. One thing is for sure as badly as these paints faded you could lighten any of them to any shade you desired and still be accurate. :)

Steve

Latest posts

Back