• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

FAA approved HF antenna?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD8NPB

Reaction score
As you can guess by my callsign, I'm an amateur radio operator.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any companies offhand that produce an HF antenna that is usable on the J3 Cub? It's for a non-TSO radio application. The radio itself will be ran off of its own battery and will not be integrated with the aircraft's electrical system..not like a J3 Cub has an electrical system to be integrated with anyways.

I've seen two ways that HF aerials are commonly done:

1.) Trailing wire.

The only one I can find is the AVA-120 for the Piper L4. However, I'd like to avoid using something of such historical nature. This is the best option though, as a long piece of wire is a most efficient. It's excellent because a tuner is not required...you can lengthen and shorten the wire by reeling it in or out to alter the frequency of resonance.

2.) Attached wire

On Cessnas, I've seen them ran from the cabin to tail, to wingtip, to wingtip. This option isn't as good, because it requires an autotuner. The wire isn't stretched out straight, so more antenna loss on top of the autotuner would be incurred.

Lastly, is the option I would like to avoid.

3.) Coil loaded antenna.

It's that simple. A piece of wire or rod with a coil at the bottom. It's the least efficient of the bunch, and it would look plain awkward on an aircraft.

Latest posts

Back