• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Engine failed annual.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Well we just competed a very detailed annual on NC33242, The engine failed miserably. Highest compression was 50/80 and it appears all the lifters are shot. The engine only had about 220smoh but upon closer readings of the logs it was a very sketchy field overhaul from 1971. It simply states right case have replaced with serviceable unit,crank inspected by AI mechanic, engine reassembled by owner IAW overhaul manual. This engine now has 0 smoh...lmao:rolleyes: who knows what or if anything was actually replaced or overhauled. I had been getting weak and if ya let it set for more then a couple weeks ya had to prime the oil pump to get pressure,lol. However the engine only has 900 total time.

I installed a spare engine I had bought just for this reason, figuring the old one was not going to pass this time. I pulled the engine off of a chief project(which is for sale if anyone is interested). It was majored by a certified engine shop in 1994, topped with overhauled cylinders from Harrison in 2007(80stoh), and has been setting since December 2010.

After getting everything installed I flushed the preservation oil out, primed the oil pump for good measures, turned on the gas, flipped it thru about 6 blades and she was ticking perfectly on the first blade with perfect oil pressure.
After a good ground run and taxi test we checked and cleaned the oil screen...looked perfect. Then. Flew her about 2 hours. She's smooth, strong, and no sign of leaks yet however I did loose a rocker box cover screes and noticed it is stripped....still not leaking so I'll get a hieli coil kit for it later.

Latest posts

Back