• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Drawing needed for tailwheel weldment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I landed my new to me j3 and experienced violent shimmy. I heard a snap and off into the weeds I went. Examination showed the large bolt that passes through the front of the leaf spring had ripped out. But we cannot find any of the hardware it was attached to??? Looks like a plate of some kind was bolted to the bottom of the fuselage but it's now gone, likely in the weeds. We don't understand what even held this plate on but we do see six holes that suggest it had a bracket inside? We cannot find that either.
What I suspect it should have is two cross tubes welded to the longerons with a plate welded between them. That plate should have a hole for the bolt to pass through. If I'm not mistaken that's how a super cub is configured. To do this I would have to remove the fabric so that it doesn't catch on fire during welding. Naturally I'm reluctant. I thought I would ask you folks if anyone has a drawing showing how the J3 leafspring is supposed to be attached to the fuselage. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back