• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Continental A65 Performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1939 J3C A65 Piper Cub, I haven't flown the plane as I'm importing it from South Africa to Australia.

It has been a life long dream to own the legendary Piper Cub, however, after speaking to a few pilots that have had experience with similar planes and similar HP engines', I've become slightly concerned that the 65HP will not be powerful enough.

Added to this, I've spoken to an equal number of pilots who reckon that the 65HP Piper Cub is beautiful to fly (even with a passenger) and that I'll have no problems.

I'll be flying around Perth, Western Australia at sea level. I won't need to climb over any mountains as Australia is relatively flat.

My other concern is whether or not the 65HP Cub will be able to accommodate/perform if I install wing tanks. I know the Cub was not originally designed to be a cross country type plane, but it would be nice to fly for at least 4 to 5 hours without having to refuel.

Am I asking too much from a 65HP Cub?

Will I need to install a C85/C90? What is the downside to installing a more powerful engine?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ivan

Latest posts

Back