• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Axle damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sar47

Reaction score
While the cub was getting an annual done, the IA noted that at the end of my right axle, one of tabs (the one of four parts between the cotter key cut-outs) is broken off. This is broken in a relatively straight line about an eighth of an inch outboard of the bottom of the cut-outs.

The axle has been this way since i have owned the airplane and it has since gone through two annual inspections without this being written up.

his concern is that the axle nut will only have a couple of complete threads with this piece broken off and does not want to sign off on the plane without having this fixed.

couple of questions, is this really something that is critical or is this something that these 60 year old airplanes can fly with?
I have priced a replacement gear leg from Univair. Should one expect to just be able to order one, add the brake line and cover or is there something else that needs to be added or adjusted prior to covering?

Any thoughts before I explain to my wife why I exceeded my flying budget again???
Scott

Latest posts

Back