• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Cub gear legs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cub420

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi gang
Doing a little cleanup on our 39 J3 which we have have owned & flown for the past 40 years. The gear legs were looking a little shabby with the usual paint chips & a loose tape or two. The plan was I have a spare set of gear, lets recover those & the bird won,t be down very long

Well the covering & painting went well . Time to switch the gear around things went well until I went to put the wheel on!
I slid the wheel on & found the axle nut would not tighten enough to line up with the axle slot!! A quick look in my spares & all my axle nuts are the same.
After a few liquid refreshments, I got the measuring stick out and found one axle is a inch & 1/8 shorter the the other??? i Was able to take 5/16 off the nut,& life is good.
Anybody else ever seen this before or no why there would be two different size gearleg axles
Thanks JR

Latest posts

Back