• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Almost frozen in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubdriver2

Reaction score
The pond I'm on is a peat bog and only about 3' deep. I got froze in a few years ago trying to log float time in December. It froze one Monday and I would stop twice a day and break the ice around the floats. I was thinking I would have to wait till the ice got thicker so we could pull it up on top to take off. But after a week it warmed up enough that the wind broke it up, and half of my 3000' pond opened up enough for me to take off. I flew it over to Island Bobs just before dark on Friday taking advantage of the open ice at my place because the temp was going to drop that night. Bobs is 1000' lower then me so I parked it at his dock and stole Nic's Vagabond to get home before dark. When I returned Sat around noon it was frozen in at Bob's in the still water on the back side of the island. I figured I could taxi the 800' to the open Hudson River because the ice around the floats was only half an inch thick. As I got about 50' from shore the ice started getting thicker and now the front of the floats were riding up on the ice before breaking under their weight. I started getting scared that I was going to get stuck in mid channel so I fire walled it and to my surprise it climbed right up on top of the ice and took off.
Soooo.... I'm a slow learning and was still in the water this Sat night looking at 17F on the thermometer think how stupid I am again. I don't know if the 3000 geese swimming all night or the light 2mph breeze kept the water open but I was happy to get out Sunday morning and head to Bob's.

We got Tom out also

Glenn

Latest posts

Back