• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Welp, engine sputtered & almost quit on Take Off today.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, got a new GoPro Max 360 Camera so wanted to get out early and test it out. flew over to a local Grass strip, landed. Taxiid, sat by the side of the runway for 5 minutes then got into position, applied full power slowly and just after what felt like lift off the engine sputtered, I saw the RPMs drop, quickly reduced power, got it back on the ground ( was barely out of ground effect). it would idle albeit roughly and when I went to give it power to taxi off, it would start to die. After shutting down and looking at the motor I noticed the Carb/throttle body was full of Condensation droplets. I really never thought in a million years I would get Carb Ice on Takeoff. felt the Carb/throttle body and it was pretty cool to the touch, (not sure if that matters). anyway, I called up some knowledgable friends and they assured me it was probably carb ice. the Temp was 63F, dewpoint was within 1 degree of that. the grass was really wet and I sat idle for 5+ MINUTES Withought doing a run up. I waited about 15 minutes, started it up, ran it up & took off with Carb Heat. Is it possible it was something else, or could it really have been Carb ice?I have been flying for 25 years and today definitely scared me. not a very long runway, large trees on both ends. Lesson learned.

anyway, here is a shot I got while enroute, the reason why I was getting up so early to fly to begin with, lol.

Cubbing.jpg

Latest posts

Back