• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Wings Over Cumberland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
I flew up to Cumberland, MD, to meet Jim Newton, aka OldCubby and WVCub, for lunch recently. He introduced me to a gentleman who was wearing a hat which says “Wings Over Cumberland”, and was carrying a book under his arm. This is Bob Poling, who has been flying out of that area since 1941! Bob and his friend Bill Armstrong wrote a book called “Wings Over Cumberland”, covering the history of aviation in that town from 1922, when Mexico Farms Airfield was started (this is where Jack on this site flies the J5) to 2002. I bought the book Bob was carrying, and it is fascinating reading. Who would have imagined such a rich aviation history existed out there in Cumberland? Places like College Park, MD, get all the press. And how many other old centers of aviation have there been in this country, with no one to act as historians?
Thanks Jim, for the pleasure of meeting Bob.

"wv" pictures below by Jim

6568_79Z-Jim_fuel.jpg

WVFlyingChuckArriving.jpg

6572BobPoling700.jpg

WVFlyingBobPoling.jpg

6568_79Z-Jim_fuel.jpg

WVFlyingChuckArriving.jpg

6572BobPoling700.jpg

WVFlyingBobPoling.jpg

Latest posts

Back