• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Bad news on otherwise perfect day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5man

Reaction score
Had our annual invitation only flyin at Mexico farms (1W3) today. Usually the best flying day of my year. I went early to clean
the Spezio, Had usual fog on the river and clouds on Knobly Mt. but I managed to be first one there by doing a circuit so I could
say I flew in instead of taxing over. The highlight of this day is usually Bob Armstrong's 1927 OX5 Pitcairn PA-4 Fleetwing flown
from over Knobly Mt. from Rawlings Md. We got a call from Bob maybe 10:30 that he had crashed after engine failure on takeoff.
I don't know him that well but had his cell so I called to see if he needed help. He said no, that he had help and was going to hospital.
He thought his nose was broken, said, "I crashed Dad's airplane" :-X I didn't ask details. Bill Pancake arrived later, had been there
said it "was rolled into a ball" :( Bob said maybe carb. ice but don't know? Hope it's rebuildable and Bob's ok.....

It was an otherwise beautiful day, had fun but it actually ruined my day. Good to see Jim N. and a couple other J3 folks and other friends.....

Jack

Latest posts

Back