• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

43-29080

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Modern day professional sports is in reality an enormous scam, its importance over emphasized by the enhancement of TV, and its teams made possible by billionaire owners, who in turn acquired much of their wealth from that medium. Football and basketball have become "sports" composed mostly of humans of freak proportion, whether it be 380 lb. linemen, or 7' power forwards. Baseball, where little men still have a chance, is populated with marginal players making millions of dollars. As a famous player of bygone days once said "the future ain't what it used to be". Boy, did he hit that right on the head. That future he referred to is now, and professional sports is an overblown mess, worshiped by millions, most of whom never saw that prophet play when baseball was still a real game.

I love baseball. I especially loved it back in the day before players made millions, and while many, maybe most, played because they loved the game, and they were good. I became a fan in 1946, and gained my love for the game in the late 40's, 50's and 60's. This was before free agency and the out of control salaries, that have transformed the "game" to a "business".

Back then the players played hard to win a berth in the World Series, because what they made in the series could equal or surpass their regular season pay. Now that series check is "chump change" and not the incentive it once was.

The late 40's and 50's were especially exciting for real fans, as the game boasted some of the greatest players of all time. Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, and many others. While the Yankees dominated in the late 40's and 50's, the Dodgers (Brooklyn), Braves, Giants and Indians produced some great teams and players. TV came along in 51' I believe, and although grainy black and white, we could now see all those great players.

Of course back then, you couldn't say baseball without mentioning the Yankees. And for good reason. From 1947 through 1964 they won 15 pennants and 10 World Series, including five in a row from 49' through 53'. They were loaded with stars including Dimaggio, Mantle, Maris, Ford, and numerous others. But the mainstay of those teams from 47' through 63, was a short stocky catcher named Lawrence "Larry" Berra. Only 5' 7", he grew up on Knob Hill in St. Louis with his child hood buddy Joe Garagiola. Of the two, Garagiola was considered the better prospect, and it was rumored that Branch Rickey, the Cardinals GM at the time, passed on Berra. Not one of Branch's better moves. Berra, latter "Yogi" to all, became a Hall of Famer with the Yankees, while Garagiola was a journeyman player at best, and later gained his fame on TV. As Joe once said, the low breaking ball put him in the announcers booth. Not so for Yogi, he could hit any pitch. Berra was a great clutch player and still holds the World Series record for hits with 71. He was also a great catcher, and was the one that caught all those great Yankee pitchers like Whitey Ford, Ed Lopat, Vic Raschi, and Allie Reynolds. He caught Don Larsen's perfect game in 56'. The picture of him jumping into Larsen's arms after Dale Mitchell struck out to end the game, is a classic. By the way, Larsen, a native Hoosier from Michigan City, wasn't all that great career wise and had a losing record (81-91). Manager Casey Stengel said Larsen could be better but he "thinks every night is New Years Eve". Of all the Yankees of that era, Yogi was the most consistent, always there when you needed a key hit or to steady his pitcher. And he was durable, unlike Dimaggio and Mantle, both of whom had shortened careers due to injuries.

Yogi was funny and entertaining and we have all laughed at his many "Yogi-isms" like "the future ain't what it used to be". I heard a recorded interview of him taken by a radio reporter after a game in his rookie year. Yogi had gone 3 for 4 in a Yankee win. The reporter said to him "Well how does it feel? Your rookie season, the Yanks won, and you went 2 for 4". Yogi responded "I went 3 for 4". To which the reporter countered with "It must have been a typographical error". Yogi quickly shot back "Like hell, it was a clean single to left". Pure and natural Yogi...

I have an autograph, on a post card with other autographs, secured at a Yankee-St. Louis Browns game in old Sportsman Park (later the first Busch Stadium). It was either 48' or 49'. The autograph was "Larry Berra". Others on that card are Vic Raschi, Fred Sanford, and Phil Rizzuto. I treasure it.

Yogi is gone now. He has come to that "fork in the road" and "taken it". A baseball legend and a genuine good person has gone to be with the Lord. Not to worry, if there are low breaking balls in heaven, he can handle them. Baseball will miss Yogi Berra. There are no modern day Yogis, no one even close. People will miss Yogi and his colorful manner and quaint way of putting things in perspective. "It ain't over til' it's over!" It may be over for Yogi down here, but up there he's just getting started. "It's dejavu all over again!"

REST IN PEACE, YOGI BERRA, and give our regards to Roy Campanella!

Latest posts

Back