• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Thanksgiving 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yogi63bear

Deleted by JimC
Reaction score
Well it is almost Thanksgiving and I have sometimes looked back and thought about what I am thankful for during this time of year. So this year brings an extra special memory of all the J3-Cub Forum folks that I have personally met in the past year or so. First I must give credit to Jerry (newcub), who I felt planted the seed, we first met at a Flight Safety Meeting/ Fly-in at Foothills Regional Airport near Morganton, NC in the Spring of 2010. The weather was bad so we rode to the event on one of our motorcycles. Jerry had driven also and met Miss Daisy the new owner of a J3 Cub. He told us he owned a Legend Cub and was one of the members on the J3-Cub.com site. He also encouraged us to go to Sentimental Journey that year, which we did, but only knew Jerry while we were there.

I really didn’t start getting active with the website until just after we met Bruce (140pilot) when we went to Kitty Hawk and spent a night camping at Suffolk Executive Airport, VA on our way there. Then we won that VIP Tour at Airventure 2011 through Aircraft Spruce where we met our next Cub Driver, Carl (carlmill). So after meeting Alex (anelon) who gave me some much needed used brake bladders and where I also met Richard (richardrichf1) in the fall of 2011, I decided it would be interesting to see how many more folks I could meet from this website in the coming year.

So here is a list of all the members I have met in person roughly in the order that I met them. SJ=Sentimental Journey

Jerry (newcub) – safety mtg (MRN) , SJ 2010, his home airport, Camden, SC Fly-in 2011, and Flying Pig BBQ at Shelby, NC this year

Bruce (140pilot) – after Suffolk, VA Fly-in while camping prior to flight to Kitty Hawk, NC

Carl (carlmill) – Oshkosh 2011 AirVenture
Alex (anelon) – mostly at Hendersonville, NC and Rutherford, NC for lunch at the end of 2011, he did visit me at Greeneville, TN for lunch in 2012.
Richard (richardrichf1) – mostly at Hendersonville, NC , Jerry’s home airport and SJ 2012
Scott (j3heavyjr) – has a J3 franklin powered next door, love to see it fly
Bob (wingnut) – flight review and lunch at Big Sandy Airport, KY
Jim (JimC) – detour off I-40 while traveling back home from snow skiing trip and another time while traveling on a motorcycle on I-40 heading back to AR.
Jim (jimrice) – detour off I-40 while traveling back home from snow skiing trip.
Roger(redneck) – Dalton, GA Fly-in Spring 2012
Rick (twoplanekid) – Doolittle’s B-25 fly-in at Grimes Airport, OH, SJ 2012
John (minimo) – Doolittle’s B-25 fly-in at Grimes Airport, OH, SJ 2012
Steve (C-90 Cub) – Doolittle’s B-25 fly-in at Grimes Airport, OH, SJ 2012
Terry (papabear) – while hangin out in AR on a motorcycle
Paul (paulrobbins) – Hendersonville, NC fly-in
John (longwinglover) – Hendersonville, NC fly-in, SJ 2012, Bradford Fly-in
Jeff (Jeff Fontenot) – SJ 2012, California/ Bucket List Trip
Corky (Corky Carson) – SJ 2012, Bradford Fly-in
Glenn (cubdriver2) – SJ 2012
David (David Johnson) – SJ 2012
Bruce (N42532) – SJ 2012
Tom (turbofan) – SJ 2012
Skip (skipster) – SJ 2012
Paul (AOP) – SJ 2012
(Bills girl) – SJ 2012
Joe (Joe G) – while traveling on a motorcycle on I-40, Bradford Fly-in, we were at SJ 2012 together but never actually met face to face…I did see his airplane though and him while flying the dawn patrol
Steve G. (bipe215) – one of my Lcl trips to Johnson City Airport, TN
Ed (EdG) – California/ Bucket List Trip
Jeff (Cub Builder) – California/ Bucket List Trip and during his visit for a place to retire around the southern Appalachian Mountains, second guy to visit me at Greeneville, TN
Dwight (dwightsmall) – California/ Bucket List Trip
Steve (captual) – California/ Bucket List Trip
Penguin (Kjnastro) – California/ Bucket List Trip
Jack (wjs46cub) – Bradford Fly-in
Steve (NC42558) – Bradford Fly-in
Patrick (patrickcronin) – Bradford Fly-in, might have also met him at SJ 2012

I truly hope I did not forget anyone, but I know it is very possible at my age, so I apologize in advance. I have met many other Cub pilots throughout my travels, but did not know them as a member at the time or they have not made themselves known for whatever reason. I did advertise and told them to go to the site. Let me know if you felt I forgot you and I’ll add your name if I can remember you. Meeting 35 people was a good number anyhow.

I encourage all members to get together for some good camaraderie. It is actually a lot of fun. You'd be surprised, so don't be a stranger. Here are some things I have learned while doing this.

1. 1. No one seems to be like they are online…reminds me of internet dating (glad I don’t have to do that anymore).
2. 2. Everyone has different backgrounds, personalities, and issues in life, but they all have a love for their Cubs and those that fly them.
3. 3. I actually have some set beliefs about humans, but most of you have been good therapy in breaking down some of my misconceptions. I am overwhelmed with your generosity.
4. Different from the motorcycle groups for the most part.

4. 5. I don’t believe these meetings are by chance at all.
5. 6. I can’t wait to meet the next new person who has an interest in Cubs.

All and all this adventure of meeting as many new folks as I could during my travels has been quite satisfying. I am very thankful for having the pleasure of meeting you all and hope to meet some more before I move on to another life.

God Bless you all and fly safe,
Stan AKA “Griz”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back