• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Tie down rings on L-4s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
I have been doing some examinations of period photos that have come to my attention, and have found something interesting. In a personal album of snapshots from Post Field, Ft Sill, the album dated "1943-4-5-6" There is a picture of a front strut attachment point and bracket with a tie down ring attached. It appears to be identical to the Univair tie down ring Part number U12345-004.

I know that 9th Army was doing some experimentation with tie down rings for their combat airplanes in '44 and '45. This could be the one they settled on, or it could be a completely separate one. but it apparently is on a silver L-4, which most likely means it was a school airplane.

Take a look at the lower right hand picture. Also take a look at the others on that page of the scrapbook. All of the different mountings for radios, like they still hadn't made up their minds on what to do with them. Perhaps they developed and finalized the placement of radios at Post Field?

00000153.jpg

Latest posts

Back