• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Elevator bellcrank cover end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
Ken Schmitt sent me a disc of L-4 photos from the Archives and one of them was this one. I couldn't post it before because I couldn't get it small enough to fit on the site, but John Scott came to the rescue and shrunk it for me and you! There is a lot to see here. First of all, the way they mounted the antenna and the place they mounted it. Then the fact that they put the radio under the desk, not to mention that its not a BC-659, it's a BC-620 which is exclusively a tank radio. The caption identifies the airplane as being from the 67th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, which is an artillery outfit in a tank division. So somebody wanted one of the artillery birds to be able to talk to the tanks in a column and not the artillery FDC.

Also notice the end piece for the bellcrank cover. We had a drawing of the cover, and of the end piece, but we didn't know how they went from a flat end to a round cover because pictures of the rear seat are just non-existent. Looks like they just mashed it over any old way and stuck on a couple of screws. I just finished making and installing one on mine. The drawings aren't real clear, but it starts out as a piece of .025 aluminum 3 inches square. The top dimensions are clear on my copy, if you need help reading it get back to me. For the holes, I marked the location off the seat cleats. I recommend you do the same because they may be a bit off from the drawings after all these years. Then just bend the top over the cleat and whack it down onto the cover as best you can and screw it in place. It is critical that the cover extend no more or less than 7 1/2 inches above the floor if you're going to get it to work.

Again, thanks to John Scott for helping me get this onto the site, and Ken Schmitt for coming up with the photos.

PS, if you can get enough resolution out of the photo, you can even see the rivets and tinnermans used to secure the windows. If you can't see it, PM me with your email and I'll send you the full shot.

img159.jpg

img160.jpg

Latest posts

Back