• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Joe Gordon, L-4 ETO veteran

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen

Reaction score
I saw the interesting discussion on parachutes for L-4s on another thread, but I think it's appropriate to start a new thread since "this is just in" from someone who was actually there. As usual, Paul (AOP) triggered the discussion so I quote him:

I don't know how many L-4 pilots were saved by bailing out. I know one guy, Joe Gordon, who was shot down twice in one, but he rode it in both times. I have read of one pilot who bailed out successfully, and the way it was written was that it was considered to be quite unusual that he did. I have read of many who didn't bail out. They were required by regulation under certain conditions, but most pilots fully understood that they weren't usually flying high enough to be able to use one.

Paul,
I agree with that, they generally flew too low in L-4s to be able to use parachutes. I actually discussed that with my friend Lars (we're both interested in WW 2 history) after a simulated mission with "SE-AWL" and we sent some questions to Joe Gordon. We would like to share the mail response we got from Joe three weeks ago regarding how they flew their missions:

"Jorgen..Good to receive your quick response.
As to combat fire direction. Yes we flew in the trajectory of our own artillery and it was pretty much unavoidable except for the most obvious precautions . Some our guys did get hit , but surprisingly few. Our planes could set off the proximity fuse on the nose cone of the projectile, which came into use late in the war for the purpose of exploding above ground in order to hit enemy personel entrenched . The shells Contained numerous steel pellets.

Yes, the give away flash of their artillery was the most common means for our spotting both artillery and tanks.

We flew at about 1500 feet usually, I order stay somewhat out of range of small arms and to be low enough to duck away from their fighter planes. My armored artillery battalion was usually with Second Armored Division and we had radio communication with the lead tanks so we could caution them as to what was up ahead out of their vision.

We at times flew very low. I remember one time in a wooded area finding myself directly above a group of German tanks with numerous ground personel. They looked up as surprised as we were. No doubt the noise of their tanks drowned out the sound of our plane, I was no more than a hundred feet in the air. I could see the look on their faces as they reached for their side arms. I did not waste any time hanging around looking for map coordinates so they got no artillery from us. That was near the end of the war and Ninth U S Army was moving fast as we overran their army. Somewhere west of Bielfeld.

The observer who was always in the seat behind and I developed keen eyes,believe me. . . Alert does not begin to describe our condition. We were Really in position to be of great help in a number of ways. As I am sure you know flying a cub as you do"

I'm planning to visit Joe next week, he kindly invited me to come even though his health is waning. We've met a couple of times before and E-mail each other on a regular basis. He is without doubt one of the most inspiring and humble persons I have had the pleasure of meeting. Please pray for him and I'll extend our thanks for his service from all L-4 enthusiasts on here and elsewhere.

Just (L-)4 fun/ Jörgen

Latest posts

Back