• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

The Impossible Turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captalbertq

Reaction score
Yesterday during a flight review in my A65 J3 I learned an important lesson. I have heard people talk about an emergency return to landing after power loss at 300 ft. Personally I always assumed 500 ft. My Cub is 738 lbs. with the two of us on board and 12 gallons of fuel we were at around 1160 lbs. DA just under 1000 and operating at sea level from a grass strip trees both ends. So off we went on a straight out departure and climbed to 500 ft. Let’s say we were climbing around 60 mph and my Cub climbs about 450 ft. per minute. After a minute of climbing I was approaching 500 ft. and a mile away from the runway. No way to return. Then we tried from 1000 feet and approximately 2 miles away. That would not work either! I usually angle away as I depart the runway just to give me a better chance of returning with a power loss. The lesson I learned is; Two people on board, full fuel tank and a power loss on takeoff means off field landing. I also went under the hood during my review but that’s another story. lol

Latest posts

Back