• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

backcast

Hey All, I've been having a boat load of fun w/my cub since I put her on floats and dropped the C90 in. With it though I've been working through some issues that some of you may have advice on, sorry for posting it all on one thread but it's a little easier this way.

1. My cub is now parked on American Lake near Tacoma Washington, nice lake but now that she's outside the spiders seem to have taken a liking to her. I spent half my time in preflight knocking down webs. Although I don't really mind, my concern is what is going on in the tail section if I'm finding them outside the plane. I don't think they will hurt anything and will most likely die off with winter but I'm not certain?
2. Finally had the opportunity to put wing tie down loops at the end of my wing struts. Good thing to have (I was hangered while on wheels so I really never needed them in the past) outside but now my aileron rigging is a little looser than before and I don't like it (the bracket for the cable pulley at the end of the forward strut was moved out ever so slightly with the addition of the tiedown, enough to change the tightness of the cable). I have a friend who is an A&P that is going to take a look at tightening them via the couplers. He's rigged in the past and know's what he's doing but the rigging was dead on this thing prior to installing the loops and I hate to change anything, am I missing another option (probably not).
3. All the float plane guys I've been flying with tell me my idle is a tad high for float operations (650-700) so I've been trying to get it to 500-550 but I either end up too low, or back where I started. Is there a trick to this or is it trial and error.
4. I have to get my dang grommets installed, I've been putting it off way too long and will most likely tackle that this weekend. Any ideas on the ideal locations that these need to be placed (seaplane grommets).
5. What's the bottom line on the tension of the tail feather braces? Some say tight, some say loose, I see in the L4 erection and maintenance manual it is better to keep them on the looser side so that they give a little while loads are applied in flight.

Sorry for the laundry list, just thought I would throw these out there for you guys to chew on.
Tedd

Latest posts

Back