• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Radio efficiency VS metal prop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOP

In Remembrance 2023
Reaction score
In my post about being filmed landing, Old Blue noticed the placement of my whip antenna under the boot cowl and asked how I liked it, which I do very much. He also asked whether I had ever had metal prop on the airplane and if so, whether it had interfered with transmission or reception. I have never had a metal prop on this airplane so I was unable to answer, but it seemed to be an interesting question, worthy of it's own thread.

Has anyone ever had an antenna placed under the boot cowl with a metal prop? On one hand, it would seem to me that the prop blades would not provide a serious barrier to electrical transmissions, but on the other hand, they do form what is essentially a metal disk. To me, radios are magic. I push the button and they either work or they don't. Hopefully someone here will know.

Latest posts

Back