• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Pylon assisting Cub takeoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
I got this email today. Do any of you know anything about this? If so can you post and contact the person asking?

Your Name: Dave Brown

Your Email: [email protected]

Subject: Pylon assisting Cub takeoff

When I was a boy growing up in Maryland in the early 60's, I can remember going to my grandmother's house in Sykesville and marveling at this traditionally painted Piper Cub parked in the middle of a small valley off of Oklahoma Road. Next to it was a fairly tall pylon which reminded me of the ones that were used in air races out west. The story goes that this Cub would have attached a cable to one of the wings and rotate around the pylon until he had gained enough speed for sustained flight, inside the cockpit he would release the cable and off he went. On returned he simply flew just above stall speed and land her and let it run up a small hill to the hangar. Years later I was reading either Popular Science or Popular Mechanix and a small article appeared concerning this exact procedure for takeoffs. Would anyone remember this article and which magazine it may have appeared? Or would anyone have first hand knowledge of the pilot that accomplished this. Any and all information that the J3-Cub could provide would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Dave Brown
Oakland County, Michigan, USA

Attachment

Latest posts

Back