• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Provision for Fixed antenna and portable radio installation in L-4B and L-3C

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlaL4

Reaction score
Guys,

I decided to keep both L-3s the L-3C and the L-3A and restore both of them. Today we were removing some stuff from the fuselage on the L-3C to get it ready for bead blasting and found provisions for a mast antenna and fixed antenna wire to the vertical fin not the rudder. My C model does not have the lug or antenna reel mounting tabs for the AVA-120 reel antenna that my A model has. My L-4B also came from the factory with a fixed antenna installation for a portable radio. The Aeronca L-3C was set up in similar fashion. Apparently neither aircraft were intended to have the normal radio equipment consisting of the RCA or Lear radios and reel antenna but did in fact have provision for a portable radio and fixed antenna. The photo of the L-3C serial # 43-1657 is at the Aeronca factory and has the antenna installed and attached to the fin and you can make out the ceramic insulator as well as the mast. My L-3C is serial # 43-1612. This explains all of the photos we see of L-3 and L-4 aircraft with the fixed antenna installed but no visible radio. They were new and the Army had not installed the radio yet most likely a BC-659 or equivalent.

Note the fixed antenna installation on my L-4B and the manual page that notes provision for a fixed antenna.

Best Regards,
Steve

002-3.jpg

tailfinantennamount.jpg

001-2.jpg

43-1285HistoryofManufacture-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back