• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Prop Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Cessna 120 for the C85 on it and the project came with a McCauley 1A90 CF7148 that had been repitched to 7145. The C85 is a stroker that had been recently overhauled. Here in Montana we're at 3500' field elevation and up from there and cruise performance isn't critical for me. I'll be landing off field at times for sure and a climb prop will be what I'm after. So the question would be...do I go ahead and have this prop repitched and painted to a 7142 now, or just wait until the time comes and see what the performance is like? I'd have to dig through the paperwork that came with the 120 (the 120 found a new home within 24 hours), but I don't recall a prop log. Which leads to the next dilemma. The prop I suspect is just fine per the individual I purchased the project from, but you never know. Should I send it off for inspection and repair (not overhaul) and if they find it serviceable have them go ahead and repitch and paint to the 7142. I'm putting the cart a bit in front of the horse, but have been biting off some of these "smaller" parts of the project to sort of budget it. Gauges, etc for instance and thinking about doing the prop. The A&P I bought it from had removed the finish with the intent of polishing it. I'd LOVE to have a polished prop, but looks like that opens an entirely new can of worms. Talked to a prop shop and apparently McCauley fixed pitch props do not have a limitation on repitch, so it sounds like I'm in good shape there.

Appreciate any insight...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back