• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New Prop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I walk through all the issues with this restoration of a rusty old plane the latest is my prop failed certification due to some surface corrosion. Although disappointed I guess I should not be surprised as it has been neglected for the last 25yrs. Downside it’s more $$ into the project, upside I get a new prop.
This is an import into Canada project so I have to cross my t’s and dot my i’s thus I need to be compliant as much as I can be with a plane built in 1946. The aircraft had an engine upgrade to a C-90/12 back in the 60’s using what appeared to be a 337 which does not work for me so I purchased the Babcock STC to get the paper to line up. In that STC it specifies either a McCauley 1A90 or 1B90 or wood prop. The aircraft will be based at 3500ft ASL with generally cool temps. So my long winded question is which direction should I go?
Keeping in mind this is a J3 Cub and it’s purpose in life is to absorb all my spare cash, buzz around on nice days, look pretty and have fun, I am kicking around the idea of going back to wood…knowing that there are plenty of opinions out there is there real practical reason why I should go one way or the other?

Latest posts

Back