• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Oshkosh Cub Doctor and Cub Club Notes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnnewman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I would share my notes from the Cub Doctor and Cub Club forums at Oshkosh. These notes are incomplete and you should verify the details because I may have misunderstood.

CUB DOCTOR -
1. WING TIP BOWS:
A. Clyde says these are made of ash and his source is an Amish enclave in his area. He seemed to indicated that he, Aircraft Spruce, and Univair have the same source for these bows. He is concerned that with the wide spread destruction of US ash trees by the Emerald Ash Bore these bows may go up in price in years to come.

B. Clyde explained these bows act like a car bumper and protect the rest of the wing structure from the impact forces, to the extent possible. He has seen Cubs using metal tubing instead of the ash bows. He strongly emphasized this is wrong and a metal bow will damage the wing structure rather than absorb and impact loads it receives.

C. Clyde thinks the wood bows should be replaced with every re-cover. They aren't meant to last forever. To improve longevity he recommends sealing the entire bow with an epoxy lacquer (better double check this). Even go to the effort of touching up the screw holes with the sealer after the bow is screwed in place. Keep the moisture out and they will last much longer.

D. He also recommended adding a reinforcement to the last bend in the bow at the trailing edge of the wing to help the bow hold its shape. Sorry, can't remember the details.

2. Clyde now has new Cub tail artwork that is more authentic than ever based on an original!

CUB CLUB
1. Steve Krog is no longer involved in the day-to-day ops. John Hoffman is running things now. Steve will continue to write articles and be associated.

2. Cub Doctor is working on a Cub book. Sounds like the book will be pulling together all of Clyde's Cub Club articles over the years into one easier to use reference. And Clyde will be updating things from the past that with the benefit of hindsight and more experience he would recommend differently now. Sounds like something to be excited about! No hint at a time frame for publication.

3. As previously announced, there is a plan for another CUBS 2 OSH in 2017 to celebrate the 80th Anniversary. More info to come.

Seems like a few things are escaping me. If they come to mind I will update. Maybe anybody else that was there has more to add.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back