• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Rear Spar Confusion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLCUB

Reaction score
I came across something today that has me wondering what to do next. As far as I can tell the rear metal spars for my J3 should be part number 14453-2 (LH) and 14453-3 (RH). The spars should be 193 7/8' long but they are not, well the LH is sort of?

While trying to dry fit the wing tip bow on the RH wing I couldn't imagine how I would get it to fit so I decided to drop it and read the forum for advice. My bows are preformed and come from Clyde Smith. Most of the advice on the forum says to start at the front and don't be afraid to brake the bow as it will bend. I could not imagine how I would not break the bow so I looked at the LH wing in my garage and it all came clear.

The rear spar on the RH wing is 190 7/8' long, I know this because the distance from the tip rib to the end of the spar is 6" and on the LH wing it is 9". To add to the confusion the LH wing spar is part number 14453-2 and should have been 193 7/8" but it looks like it was cut to 190 7/8" and then spliced again. This aircraft flew this way for the last 41 years, the RH wing bow was broken when I removed the fabric, probably due to the stress imposed by the short spar. The splice job doesn't look like any approved repair that I am aware of but it looks like it would last another 41 years.

I could have posted this in rants and raves as I am a little cranky right now with state of my certified aircraft and the IAs that performed the work on it. As always I am looking forward to hearing from the experience of this forums members.

The last picture is the state of the RH wing to this point.

Jack

View attachment Rear Spar 14453.pdf

IMG_4451.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

IMG_4448.jpg

Latest posts

Back