• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

oil tank covers

Renkou1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of sewing up an oil tank cover and intake tube covers.
Preliminary....need to round up heavy canvas...the heavy sewing machine I would use hasn't been used for years... As I remember covers used snaps. Wonder if velcro can stand the heat?
Anyway...if I am able to make these...functional and pretty...is anyone interested in a set.
Will build one set so I can see diff in oil temp.

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
even the thin wag ones help a little. The plate over the air filter helps the most when it's below 10*

........Mike

Renkou1

Reaction score
Plate over airfilter or plate over hole above airfilter?

fasken

Reaction score
I just got the plate from Univair $25. Fits just fine.

Plus had a aluminum sheet metal shop build a air filter cove for $15. The air filter plate helps a lot with throttle response with touch and goes.

Run a silicon heater on my oil tank and it has not gotten cold yet. Will see where we go for my first winter season in Colorado. Will be making some felt tube covers next week .

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of the air filter opening do you cover up?

fasken

Reaction score
There is a diagram in the Cub Club news letter 114. The plate covers the whole air filter. It one inch out from the air filter. Open to just the top and the bottom.

in the video of the j3 on skis that was on the site last week had an air filter plate. Could help with cold and snow covering the air filter.

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of it. ;D Cover the air hole too.

IMG00087.jpg

IMG00087.jpg

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with you now -- that's the snow plate.

tophand

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep the Snow plate. To be serious for a minute now. This plate works great when it's really cold, like below 10*. But above 25 or so it restricts air flow so much that it's like flying with the carb heat on. It's enough that I've taken off, gone around, landed and taken it off. Then continued with my flight. When it's really cold though, it works great. I recommend it for your bag of tricks.

.......Mike

Renkow 12 what are you going to make your covers out of? I might be interested. I did put on a tanis heater though.

Renkou1

Reaction score
I'm thinking thick canvas. Saw a set years ago. New manufacture set I received and sent back was thin and looked porous. Have an uninstalled 4.8 quart oil tank to use for mock-up. Just in the planing stage now.

Latest posts