• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Not happy with Piper's front seat belt method of install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
I'm not at all happy with the front seat design for holding on to the seat belt. The belts are supposed to attach to a little welded in wedge at the lower rear corner of the seat frame. It is drilled for an AN3 bolt. It just looks really flimsy to me. That means that crash forces go from the belt to the AN3 in shear, to the seat frame, to the seat frame floor flange, through the floor through two AN3's that are held on the under floor side with a "u" clamp that goes under a major cross member. First, the AN3 seems awfully small to handle 4 or 5 g's in sheer. And the under floor U clamp seems awfully thin. This is the stuff and method that came out of my old airframe. I'm thinking a good solid piece of steel U shaped, pushed up through the bottom of the floor boards and wrapping the major under-floor cross member, and holding an AN5 in sheer that retains the seat belt attach would actually be able to hold the front seater in. Has anyone come up with a better attach for the front seat belt? Or, has anyone in the last 60 years got some sheer analysis on the AN3 and on the thin U clamp and through-floor AN3's that hold the guy in?? Maybe I'm over worrying something that will do the job as is??

Latest posts

Back