• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Need help trouble shooting!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Okay I must admitt that I have been stumped but my a65 and need opinions, suggestions, and ideas. For the last coupe of months I've been having trouble with my cub stumbling/quitting as soon as I advance the throttle for take off. The colder the temp, the worse it reacts. I've tried carb heat and helps a little bit. Once I get it to take throttle it runs okay. It won't do it setting on the tie down, it won't do it on a static run up, it only does it after the wheels start rolling on the take off roll. Once I get a climb established it runs okay but feels a little rough, the more load I put on the engine the rougher it seems to feel. Once I level off it seems to be as smooth as a pussy cat.

I have completely overhauled the carb,all new fuel lines, new primer lines, rebuilt primer, new intake rubbers, new intake gaskets, checked timing to be perfect, compressions are all high 70's across the board, everything seems to be perfect but I simply can't figure it out. I've done all of this trying to fix this problem that seems to be getting worse. However I flew it the other day when the temp get up int he 60's(very rare here this time of year) and the damn thing never missed a beat and was smooth as silk for 45 minutes. I landed and went to take off again and it quit dead just as the wheels lifted off. I let it cool for two hours and it ran perfectly until I came in and went to take again with the same result.
In cold weather it just tries to quit just as you start the takeoff roll but will usually run thru it. It will never do it at all on a static run no matter what I try, only after the wheels start rolling and sometimes just as it breaks ground. I'm starting to suspect a cracked cylinder or maybe even a broken crank....anyone have any ideas or simular expereinces? I thought I knew it all about these little engines but i guess thats why my wife is always reminding me otherwise.....:rolleyes:

Back