• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Missouri Use Tax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

FreddyK

It appears that this was a blanket effort and no attempt was given to determine the actual aircraft that would be effected by this tax. Fortunately, I contacted my tax lady / accountant and she had some knowledge of this fiasco. She informed me that according to the law, aircraft under 3000 lbs gross weight and seating for 4 people or less were exempt from the tax. (which is just another reason to love a J-3.) She gave me a letter and told me include something that included the GW and type of aircraft. So, I included a copy of the operating limits certificate that I had.

The screwed up thing about it, by the look of the form that was suppose to be used it was a business tax for moving material or goods across state lines. If I would have not checked with my accountant, I'd be paying taxes on a airplane that was exempt..( I wonder how many folks are doing just that ).. and not even anyone at the Dept. of revenue really knew the answer to the questions..... other than saying, well alot of people have been caught off guard....

The letter read something like this

Date

Missouri Department of Revenue
Taxation Division
P.O. Box 1629
Jefferson City, MO 65105-1629

Re; (Your name )

To; Whom it may concern

Enclosed is a letter I received wherein you proposed to charge me the consumers use tax on the purchase of my airplane.

I have also enclosed a copy of my airplanes specs - including the airplanes gross weight of less than 3000 pounds.
You can see that the gross weight of my airplane causes it to be exempt from Missouri use tax. In addition, my airplane only has seating
for two individuals.

Therefore, pursuant to the enclosed section 144.043 RSMO, this recreational light aircraft is exempt from Missouri sales and use tax.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Regards,

Your Name

RSMO 144.043 use tax.jpg

RSMO 144.043 use tax.jpg

Latest posts

Back