• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Loosing Virginity again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotiamen

Reaction score
Over the past month I 've had the pleasure of tuning up my float skills on a friends J3-65S on 1320's. My J3 with an 85 0-200 crank and 1320's and various mods is on track for completion by July.

I have to say as someone with less than a 1000 hours and although flying for more than 25 years in various types and even some aerobatics.........OH my God... what a rush on floats......

AS an offshore sailor I tend to be "retentive" to the max re safety and to ensure I ve gotten the correct training on both Wheels and Floats I gone on several trips to Florida for proper training. I felt this was important as my old float rating was done years ago with less than formal basis. All training has been great and most worth while.

2 weeks ago at the insistence of my friend ( with paper work all signed) he left the plane on my ramp at my house( it still here) The next morningI took her up alone, early morning, mist on my lake just as the sun was breaking the horizon...........it was like a poor mans Helicopter with me alone.
The Grin could not be removed from my face...........this Solo was way better than my first.

To be honest, during one of my training sessions on wheels the instructor covered the airspeed indicator as I was being too instrument anal and not enough "feel" ...That was a good thing as the problem with this J3 is that it's air speed is broken..While I don't advocate the lack of this instrument..........it has gotten me closer to what a cub is about...... "feel".

It reminds me of Sailing

Last week I took my daughter for a flight up the coast "Low and Slow" alone the beaches of the Bay of Fundy where she lifeguards. I was most pleased as she "got it" said this is incredable! so much better than the other plane ( club 172).

Will and everyone, I have enjoyed this site beyond words, just wanted to share this experience.

Thank you all

David
Nova Scotia

Latest posts

Back