• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Rudder rigging on new cub?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGK

Reaction score
Hello Cub enthusiasts,

Let me start by saying that I have thoroughly been enjoying the forum and the abundance of useful information contained within! This has been a primary source of information for me as I have been educating myself about the J3 during my pre-purchase process and airplane search.

So, I just purchased my first Cub last week up in Michigan. Spent the better part of the first day getting my tail wheel endorsement and then two days of great weather down to her new home in TN. She is a '46 model J3, stock 65hp engine, wood 72CK44 cruise prop, wood spars. She is not going to win any restoration awards but she shows well, is in great condition... AND is a blast to fly!

Here is my question (if this has been discussed in another thread please point me in the right direction)... She flys beautifully straight and level hands off so I believe the airframe is straight and control surfaces well rigged. Ailerons are drooped about an inch at the tips. In all phases of flight (climb, level, descent) considerably more left rudder is required to make a coordinated left turn than the right rudder input required to make a coordinated right turn. It is almost as if I need to lead with rudder and trim with aileron when turning to left and lead with aileron and trim with rudder when turning to the right. Is this imbalance normal in a cub and if not, do you guys have suggestions for me to check into? I always wondered what the pedals on the floor were used for before my first flight in the tailwheel last week so forgive me if this is something I missed in my primary flight training ten years ago :)

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back