• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L4 S/N and C/N on build sheet versus reality in Europe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De rode ridder

Reaction score
I took me a while to convince me that I would actually start a new thread on this. I expect some real discussion and hope that it does not go the wrong way about who is wright or wrong.
So here we go:

For obvious reasons, I have been inspecting several L-4´s or L-4 projects around Europe. I also had one before and can ad it to the issue that follows.
In several cases there was enough paperwork that came with it and surprisingly some even had the build sheets supplied by Clyde.
You probably will not believe it (I can prove it) but in 5 cases there was a mismatch between the airframe C/N / frame number (welded on the X-member) and the build sheet when we consider the S/N on the data plate and paperwork genuine.
In most of the cases, the Cub´s were transferred (sold-donated) from the Army to local aeroclubs in Europe. In some cases the civil logbooks start right after the war. Those logbooks took the military serial (registration) numbers and their data plates to identify them . For example 44-***** / and associated serial number 11*** were entered in the logbook. Nobody took notice of the actual construction number on the x-member. Some of these planes spent all their lives at the same location and were never damaged or at least not in a distinctive way.
Now I come along and start digging in all the paper work. The serial number is in all the cases continuous for over 66 years but when I compare the C/N / frame number from the build sheet, there is a mismatch that sometimes goes up 10 digits. In several cases even the owners did not know, did not want to know;) or just did not care. In one case I was sent to the moon as a matter of speaking:D. I must have hit a sensitive spot.

So what is my point?
well, I am starting to think that airframes were actually mixed during the war when they were uncrated or repaired. Ok, I know some experts state that they were not repaired when they were heavily damaged but rather scrapped. Or even that airframes were never mixed but how can you explain all before?
I know CAA´s mix up all sort of things but believe me, I ruled this out in several cases.
Were the data plates always fixed on the rear desk during WW2? If so, it would be difficult to mix up a serial number plate with a different frame.
Could it even be that the mix up already started at the piper factory????
Just by coincidence another L-4 enthusiast contacted me to state a similar issue and asked me how to understand this. In his case the C/N /frame number only defers by 1 digit. It was delivered in the same batch in the ETO.
For me even an indication more that this could have happened either before adding a serial number data plate or after the shipping and uncrating when putting them back together.
I would appreciate some point of views or thoughts.

If somebody has a similar experience, I would like to hear it (and even see it)

Happy holidays

regards

Bart

Remark: this should have gone in the L-4 section. I guess I need some more sleep or less cub :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back