• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

L4 fuselage interest, value?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVacek

Reaction score
My J-3 is actually a 1944 L-4 with 46 aluminum spar wings and November 46 Ponca City paperwork. When I bought it freshly covered in 1984 I knew what it was before buying and was enthused about eventually restoring it as an L-4. I thought about that lots over the decades. The Cub is uncovered and needs rebuild now, but after over 30 years of flying it as a J-3 and since I also have a stock Army Stearman now, all I really want is for the Cub to be a nice original civil J-3

The fuselage is fairly complete as far as L-4 features, though a J-3 birdcage and D windows were cobbled on. Still has the rear seat sling mount points, most of the mounts for the desk, etc.

I've considered selling the fuselage and building or buying a new J-3 fuselage for the aluminum-spar wings and 1946 paperwork that the plane was flying with when I bought it.

Any thoughts as to demand for an L-4 fuselage, and possible value as a rebuilding project? It'll need the typical longeron splices or replacements in the rear, and redo the L-4 birdcage, but it's not rotten and there's no major damage history. I do have the historical info on this L-4, which was never deployed in combat but went to the CAP after the War. There was a military accident when it was hit while tied down on a visit to Wright-Patterson in 1948 or so, but that was mostly wing damage as far as I can see from the records.

Thanks!
Karl Vacek

Latest posts

Back