• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

J-3 Wood Spars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator99

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am restoring a 1945 J-3 for a customer which has wood spars that were replaced back in the eighties. The ribs were in terrible shape so the customer elected to replace them with Dakota cub ribs. The problem I am hoping some one can give a little insight to is that the new ribs do not fit on the front spar. As in the front spar opening in the rib is to small. Now the spar measures 5-13/16 tall the original rib opening measures 5-7/8 tall and the Dakota cub rib measures 5-3/4. I talked to a fellow at Dakota Cub and he was kinda stumped that they didn't fit but didn't know what the spar measurement was supposed to be and suggested filing the T-angle until they slide on, but I want to know why they don't fit. My inclination is that the spar is just a little bit oversized. Can anyone point me in the direction of a factory drawing for the wood spars or does anyone know what the dimensions are supposed to be. I appreciate any input you folks might have.
Thank you
Chad

Latest posts

Back