• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Interior Fuselage Color

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ir3an

Reaction score
I am currently building a 1/3 scale L-4 and have a question. I understand that the fuselage, per "Saving a Grasshopper", had cloth covering both inside and out. On my L-4 I will only be covering the outer fuselage. I have several options, one being to cover with an adhesive backed product. I used that on the wings, control surfaces, and other items that are cloth covered except for the fuselage. If I use the iron on product on the fuselage, the interior will look like a glossy glued surface in the same color as the fabric, in this case white. This is not acceptable.

My second option, and the correct one I think, is to use a shrinkable linen of some sort which can be found in most of the fabric shops. I can dope on to shrink and then spray the Olive Drab.

The question is, when looking in the fuselage, especially looking aft, is the color OD or is it what ever color pigment was in the dope when the fabric was put on the original and shrunk. I can not find any good photos of the L-4 interior looking aft. The only photo I did find was the interior of "Janey" which was a shade of blue. I don't think that is correct for authenticity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iran Ausley

Latest posts

Back