• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Interesting bit of history in my Cub's wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you got a signed and dated aileron spar in your Cub too?

• Yes

• No

• Never Looked

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
My L-4 is being restored right now, and the guy restoring it sent me the picture below. It is a signature and date on the rear side of the aileron spars, presumably by someone that built them up in 1942. Both my aileron spars are dated and signed.

The guy restoring my Cub, has restored dozens of Cubs and he tells me he sees it often. He added, "I never paint over these, but I do spray clear shellac on to preserve them (This will keep me on the good side of the Piper gods)".

It looks like the signature says "Leo Shomaker - 11-12-42". I thought this was a nice touch of history to discover.

Anyone else seen this before?

IMG_3105.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

Latest posts

Back